In July 2010 Waikato Management School launched an internship paper aimed at providing top students with the opportunity to gain valuable organisation experience in their discipline area, while providing the organisation with a resource to apply to a specialized project.
What distinguishes the WMS internship?
- Is based on an authentic project that the organisation needs carried out
- Only accepts students with a B+ academic record in their first three years of study plus outstanding extra-curricular experience
- Involves interns from all the management disciplines; accounting, economics, finance, human resources, supply chain, communication, marketing, strategic management, international management, tourism
- Is guided by an organisational mentor
- Is supported by specialist academic supervisors in the School
- Runs over 20 weeks
- Requires a minimum of 150 hours spent in the organisation
- Is not semester based and can start at any time during the year
- Provides students with an opportunity to apply what they have learned in the classroom to a real project
- Has no cost to the organisation
Our interns have been placed in:
‘Start-ups’, SMEs, Major corporates, Not-for-profit organisations (NFPs), Local and central government.
Through placing more than 200 top quality interns we have developed relationships with hundreds of organisations in New Zealand and offshore including placing interns in the USA, UK, Belgium, Germany, Malaysia and India.