Tourism and Hospitality Management
Tourism - the world's largest industry - or is it a collection of industries - airlines, accommodation, attractions and events?
Tourism - the epitome of post-modernism - a social phenomenon with social, cultural and environmental impacts? Does it create new hybrids of cultures and business organisations?
What can be said is that it is a fascinating subject to study - and where better to study it than at Waikato where some of the leading researchers both teach and study this 21st century industry.
Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management - Member of APEC Centre for Sustainable Tourism
Click here for the Department's Mission Statement
To demonstrate excellence through research in tourism and hospitality that adds to international knowledge and connectedness.
To give students an educational experience that is distinctive and develops and encourages excellence in life long learning.
To develop an employment environment that promotes a collegial search for excellence and a rewarding experience.
To research, promote and operate within a sustainable tourism and hospitality business environment.
The above statement is based on the Waikato Management School (WMS) Mission Statement, which is itself congruent with that of the University of Waikato. The statements can be found on the appropriate web pages.
News and Events
- 18 April 2013 - Winning success for India Research. more>>
- 7 April 2013 - Students plant new ideas at Pumpkin Fest more>>
- 15 March 2013 - Local travel industry speaker visits Tourism class. more>>
- 06 February 2013 - Top scholarship awarded to tourism PhD student. more>>
- 14 January 2013 - Distinguished Visiting Scholar Award more>>
- 7 December 2012 - National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism (NKUHT) in Taiwan. more>>
- 26 November 2012 - Cruise ship visit to explore internship, research and education opportunities more>>
- 15 October 2012 - Waikato's tourism research output ranks well more>>